Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sometimes things really do happen for a reason!

As I previously wrote, I had a less than awesome audition with AIMS and was feeling pretty disappointed this week. Upon reflection I realized it was probably for the best and that I may not be ready for such a competitive experience yet. What I didn't realize, was maybe God had something else in mind for me!

Wednesday afternoon I received a phone call from Glimmerglass Opera in Cooperstown, New York. Glimmerglass is one of the premier summer programs for up and coming opera singers. A few months ago, I applied for one of the administrative internships just to see what would happen. I was trying to get a head start on a summer job or internships. The call was completely unexpected, and what was more surprising was they wanted to offer me an internship! Although my top three preferred internships were filled, because my availability dates were too late, they wanted to know if I would want to be a housing intern. My duties would be very similar to what I did this previous summer as a conference assistant at WOU. I would be helping arrange housing for guest artists, faculty, conductors and the young artists. I would also be using the company car to drive around guest artists, conductors, etc., who did not have car. Needless to say, I was thrilled! What is even better is that it is a paid internship with housing included. All that I am responsible for is my plane ticket there and back. They will even pick me up at the airport. After giving it some thought, I have decided I will accept the internship. This means I will spend my summer in upstate New York, only 3 hours away from NYC and about 4 hours from Buffalo, where a lot of my mother's side of the family resides. Also, my soon to be supervisor said that I would be more than welcome to attend the open master classes as well as the productions. I told her I was a singer, and she was very understanding and seemed to appreciate that I know both sides of a production both as a performer and being behind the scenes.

I really feel that this will be a wonderful experience for me. I am looking forward to it immensely.




SMILES!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Wow Karen! Congrats! What a wonderful opportunity. I found your blog through Katrina's. Hope you don't mind! You should let Mr. Russell know! He would be really excited for you.