To date I've lost 12 lbs! Hooray! I'm still enjoying my meetings and making good progress with eating habits etc.
Recently I've been reflecting on the culture of office work and particularly state work. I have learned a lot in the last six months about organizational behavior and office subculture.
Here are some of the most important things I've learned so far:
1. Always say thank you. Especially to the people who have very repetitive and sometimes crappy jobs. AKA the people who never get thanked. I can't imagine processing invoices all day long or being a cashier and having to deal with cranky students and parents. A simple, sincere thank you goes a long way and has definitely helped my reputation among university staff, students and donors.
2. Always be polite. You cannot judge a donor by the clothes they wear or the car they drive. That old guy that walked through the door could be one of the largest supporters of the university or one of the most respected professors of all time. Also remember that our ultimate purpose (here at the University) is to be there for the students. So be nice to the students! Encourage them, ask them how they are doing, and set an example of kindness for them . I can't tell you how much I've learned from students talking to me. I remember being a student and have the utmost respect for how hard they work. Most of them anyways lol.
3. Over-Communicate. Don't assume the other person knows exactly what you are doing and what you need from them. Double check with them. Tell them to feel free to ask questions and of course be polite and thankful about it. Be clear and followup.
4. Don't be too proud to ask for help. I have several mentors here at work and I'm always asking their advice. Don't be afraid to ask for multiple opinions and talk ideas out with several people. You never know what you will learn.
5. Don't take everything personally. When people criticize your work they are usually just trying to help. Granted they may not always be very tactful about it, but take what you can from it and move on. If someone is in a bad mood, don't assume it has anything to do with you and be aware that they may have things going on in their personal lives that are affecting their work. Be sensitive and assess when to approach them, if at all.
6. Be grateful for your job. If you hate yours, well that's a different story I suppose, but no one loves everything about their job. Identify the things that really inspire you and use those to power you through your workday and inspire new ideas. Reflect on why you do the work you do. Sometimes when I get discouraged I like to read journals or news on Art Education or Administration to give me new ideas and remind me that I'm not alone in my quest to keep the arts alive.
7. Don't talk negatively about other people at work. Gossip and rude comments about co-workers always spell trouble. If you are frustrated with someone talk to a supervisor, friend or other confidant not involved in the situation. Don't go around the office telling everyone how mad you are at so and so. Try to see it from the other person's perspective and take a step back to assess your own behavior.
8. Limit your exposure to energy vampires. If certain people drain you or emotionally dump on you, don't engage. Sometimes I pretend to listen to people ( I know that's terrible) or find an excuse to cut the conversation short. Energy vampires and negative people love to bring others down. I remember one very distinct phone conversation with an older co-worker in a different department:
Me: Hello?
Person: Hi it's so and so. Are we having fun yet?
Me: Well, yes I'm always having fun.
Person: Well you won't after a couple years.
OUCH.
9. Smile. Acknowledge everyone. This goes back to the whole being polite to everyone.
10. Work to live, don't live to work. Life is too short for your job to become everything to you. Find something outside of work the inspires you and re-energizes you, whether its your spouse, kids, puppy, a hobby, your friends, etc.
I'm limiting myself to ten key things right now, but I learn new things everyday. I feel so fortunate to work with such a great group of people who are caring, understanding and encouraging.



2 comments:
Sometimes I can be an energy vampire when I come bug you instead of letting you work! I can't help it. :)
I like that you watch the i.t. crowd too.. that makes my heart smile. congrats on workin' hard!! and losing weight!
Post a Comment