Yesterday I had an experience that literally shook me to the core, blew my mind, etc.
I must tell you that this month has been particularly difficult for us financially. We've all been there, unexpected expenses, like a speeding ticket (me) or medical expenses. Bryce and I are pretty good with our money, but the reality is, it's just difficult given my salary and then Bryce's part-time, irregular earnings. Fortunately, we don't have credit card debt, car loans, house loans, school loans, etc. We are debt free and yet we struggle each paycheck. Some of it is that we eat out a little too much or buy coffee too much, gas is RIDICULOUS, but mostly we're just er...poor,I guess lol. Anyways, back to the point...
I stood in line yesterday waiting to pay for a few groceries, hoping that I had enough to buy them with the $11.00 in my bank account and $6.00 in my other debit account ( we're in the process of switching banks). After the final item was rung, I saw that I might not have enough and I knew we had used up our EBT card money, so I put a few things back. Insufficient funds. I told the clerk I would put some on one card then some on another. Insufficient funds. Sufficiently embarrassed I stood there wondering what to do. Waremart does not accept credit cards and oh yeah, I shredded my purposefully. All I wanted was to buy a few things for my friends birthday party.
The woman behind me motioned and the clerk said "are you sure?" and before I knew it, she had swiped her EBT card to cover my $7.99. I was stunned and touched. I turned to her and said thank you, and she just nodded in understanding.
Once I got back to the car, I just bawled, upset, embarrassed and touched by a strangers' kindness. All I could think was would I help someone in the same situation? I would like to hope so, but I'm not sure.
This tiny little Mexican woman was with her family. She had other mouths to feed and well not to sound judgmental, but she probably made less money than I normally make. And yet she still extended her generosity without much of a thought.
Having recovered my composure, I drove home and had a wonderful time with friends, but the whole time I was thinking about that woman. Later that night as I went through my receipts in my purse, I looked at the receipts from earlier that evening, one had my items listed and the debit payment and the other was an EBT receipt listing what had been paid for and how much was left.
$29.21
This woman had only $29.21 left on her card and she still covered for me.
I'm still blown away.
Granted, the benefits renew each month on the day of the last number of your social security, so somewhere between 0 and 9, but still it was an incredible thing for her to do especially at the end of the month.
I can only hope that some day I will be able to return that generosity.
Money is a difficult thing to talk about it. It's even more difficult to admit you just can't afford some things. I'm very independent and I don't like to ask for help, especially when it comes to money which increases my anxiety about it. We have to hold our heads up high and say, it's ok to be poor lol, because the reality is everyone in this economy is struggling in one way or another. More importantly we need to be thankful for what we do have. I may have no money in my bank account, but I also have no debt, all my bills are paid, a nice apartment, clothes to wear and a wonderful family that loves me.
This is all that matters in life. To have what we need.
1 comment:
That's a fantastic story, Karen. It's good to know that even in these hard times, there are still people out there willing to help each other. =)
On another note, if you ever have any questions about money/finances, Alan has taught me a LOT over the past year and helped get my own money working the way I want it to. I'd be more than happy to chat with you/provide some resources if you're ever interested.
Take care <3
Post a Comment