Sometimes I wish I was like Kanye West.
"Smarter. Better. Faster. Stronger."
Seriously though, does anyone else experience those days? If only I were smarter, if only I could be more efficient, if only I could clone myself.
Today was that day for me. I have so many hopes for the Smith Series and would love to implement a lot of new strategies and ideas, but it always seems that time and brain cells are against me. I feel as though I am grasping at an idea, a strategy, something that I am missing and can't reach. I start comparing myself to others and envy the confidence and ability with which they do their jobs. And how much smarter everyone else seems!
I suppose that is the blessing and the curse of being a perfectionist. We want to be perfect and because we want to be perfect we work damn hard to get there. It is also a result of my musical training I think too. Musicians are always striving to perfect their craft, hoping that next time they'll get that one phrase right, or hit that high note that's been troubling them.
I see my work as an arts administrator as a craft that is always evolving and I will always be working towards "smarter, better, faster, stronger". I believe so strongly in the impact of the arts in people's lives and the importance of preserving our musical culture. That is the heart of why I "doooo eeeeet".
If I take a step back though, I realize that this passion is the most important skill. Anyone can be trained to do just about anything, but you can't train someone to have passion and drive. If I love what I do how can I fail? I can always give my best even if not everything gets done, or I'm not able to achieve all that I would like.
Oh yeah, did I mention I've only been at this job for a little over a year?
And oh yeah, did I mention this is my first real job post college?
All in good time I suppose.

No comments:
Post a Comment