Thursday, April 24, 2008

I hate library assignments in History

For those of you who are not familiar with this subject I will explain as briefly as possibly. When we do a music history library assignment (of which there are two per term) we do the following:

1. Pick a topic pertaining to the era we are studying
2. Go to the library and find all the materials pertaining to our topic
3. Compile our findings in a bibliography in chicago style manual format.

This may sound simple, but it is not. In fact it is very tedious and irritating! BAH! I understand that it helps us to become familiar with the WOU Library, however, if you've already taken one term of history, you shouldn't have to do it every term. Or, at the very least, only have to do one!

Sometimes I wonder if our professor is making us do his boring research work for him. It makes sense, he could easily take our library assignment and use it to find all the books he need. Professors sometimes make their undergraduate or graduate TAs do all their research, then the Professor takes the credit for the project or paper, etc.

Oh well, I just work on it until I come close to losing my sanity. Then I decide I'm done. Like today, I gave myself a time limit and that was from 1 to 4 pm, and now I'm done.

Phew...what a day!

No comments: