Friday, March 11, 2011

"Geeking Out"

I am a major fan of science fiction and fantasy novels.  Recently I finished the first of a trilogy, well more like the first of a second trilogy of a series of nine books.  They are the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R Donaldson.  These are excellent books and a bit of a challenging read.  As I was finishing the last chapter the other night I wondered to myself how often we skim over words we don't know or just "kind of know"  without actually trying to look them up.  In our culture of faster fast faster I think we've been taught to read fast, which is good for some things, but not if you want to savor good literature.  And yes naysayers there is some excellent sci-fi and fantasy writing out there. So with this book I challenged myself to write down every word I did not know, even the ones that I thought I knew but just was not totally sure.  A few notes before I start, I did not not include multiple definitions, just the one that (I think) fits in the context of my novel; I do not list IPA or related forms.  If you want to know more look it up yourself! Here goes:


irrefragable-not to be disputed or contested
etiolated-to cause to become weakened or sickly; drain of color or vigor.
intransigence-refusing to agree or compromise;uncompromising;inflexible
mordantly-sharply caustic or sarcastic, as wit or a speaker;biting. Burning;corrosive.
desuetude-the state of being no longer used or practiced
excoriations-a raw irritated lesion (as of the skin or a mucosal surface).  the act of abrading or wearing off the skin.
architraves-the lowermost member of a classical entablature, resting originally upon columns.  2.  a molded or decorated band framing a panel or an opening, as of a door or window.
roborant-strengthening, a tonic.
obloquy-censure, blame or abusive language aimed at a person or thing.  Discredit, disgrace or bad repute from public blame, abuse or denunciation.
hagriding-to afflict with worry, dread, need or the like;torment
vitiating-to impair the quality of;make faulty;spoil; to impair or weaken the effectiveness of;to debase;corrupt.
concatenation-a series of interconnected or interdependent things or events.
celerity-swiftness, speed.
suzerainty-the position, power or dignity of a suzerain.  suzerain: a sovereign or a state exercising political control over a dependent state. History/Historical: a feudal overlord.
febrifuge-serving to dispel or reduce fever, as a medicine; such a medicine or agent;a cooling drink.
chancrous-the initial lesion of syphilis and certain other infectious diseases, commonly a more or less distinct ulcer or sore with a hard base.
stertorously-characterized by stertor or heavy snoring; breathing in this manner.
lambent-running or moving lightly over a surface, softly bright or radiant, dealing lightly and gracefully with a subject.
chrism-a consecrated oil, usually mixed with balsam or balsam and spices, used by certain chruches in various rites as in baptism, confirmation and the like.
flagellant-a person who flagellates or scourges him or herself for religious discipline.
malison-a curse
susurrus-a soft murmuring or rustling sound;whisper.
limned-to represent in drawing or painting, to portray in words;describe.
gravid-pregnant; full of meaning; highly significant; a pregnant utterance.
mephitic-offensive to the smell;noxious;pestilential;poisonous
unambergrised-see definition of ambergris below. I'm guessing the book is more referring to the color.
             ambergis-an opaque, ash-colored secretion of the sperm whale intestine, usually foudning floating on the ocean or cast ashore;used in perfumery.
anoxia-an abnormally low amount of oxygen in the body tissues;hypoxia;the mental and physical disturbances that occur as a result of hypoxia.
inviolable-prohibiting violation;secure from destruction, violence, infringement or desecration.
castigate-to criticize or reprimand severely
vitiated-to impair the quality or;make faulty;spoil
charnel-a repository for dead bodies.
anodyne-a medicine that relives or allays pain.
travertine-a form of limestone deposited by springs, especially hot springs.
caducity-the infirmity or weakness of old age;senility;frailty;transitoriness.
nacre-mother of pearl
irenic-tending to promote peace or reconciliation;peaceful or conciliatory.
periapt-an amulet
sabulous-sandy;gritty. 
obverse-a counterpart

One last note, sometimes I feel like authors just like to pick up the Thesaurus and have at it while writing, but in Donaldson's writing, his vocabulary does not feel forced or, well to put it plainly "bullshitty".

No comments: