Saturday, January 7, 2012

Zen habits

My resolution for this year is to simplify my life.  I want to truly focus on what is important to me and learn to let go of the rest.  I recently stumbled on this great blog (much more insightful than my silly rants!) called Zen Habits and have been trying to incorporate some of the many amazing tips given to simplify my life.

One of the posts that attracted my attention was on multitasking. I realized that I try too often to multitask and  end up being way less efficient.  An example would be checking my email way too often which, distracts me from the project I'm supposed to be working on, then when I return to it, I can't remember where I left off.  Being a receptionist means frequent interruptions in addition to my own ability to distract myself.  The Zen Habits blog has excellent tips for these kinds of situations and explains why multitasking is not necessarily efficient.

Attempting to multitask too much, combined with distractions, can not only lead to lower efficiency but also induce stress on my part.  I have decided to work on limiting multitasking, distractions, and work slower and more carefully. I have taken the following steps to incorporate new habits:

1. Be aware of my breathing while working, breathing deeply reduces anxiety and clears the mind.
2. Create three and only three MITs for the day, instead of try to do everything in one day.
3. Reduce distractions, particularly limiting the amount of times I check my email everyday.

I'm really looking forward to increasing my efficiency as well as my sense of inner peace.

Here's to a new year and new habits!

No comments: