Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 4: Your parents

My parents have been married for 32 years!  Unheard of these days...

My mom is an RN, currently teaching at Mt. Hood Community College.  She has worked all over the Portland Area and is one of the best RNs you will find. Originally from Buffalo, NY.

My Dad is an attorney specializing in estate planning and business law. He was recently awarded the AV rating, basically meaning he is considered one of the best attorneys in his field of law in the U.S. by his peers. He grew up right across the bridge in Salem.  He was one of those North Salem hoodlums (lol.)

In addition to career achievements they are the most loving wonderful parents!  They have taught me what really matters in life: love and family.

My dad used to get teased by his fellow attorneys because he didn't work 80 hours a week, make tons of money and have a giant house and fancy car.  Instead he (and my mom of course) attended every piano recital, voice recital, soccer game, school play, awards ceremony, you name it, that we were involved in. We had a modest car, a modest house and everything we could need and more. And he continues to make us laugh with his bizarre jokes (I got my sense of humor from him).  He spent a lot of time with me in my critical teenage years when girls really need their dads. I credit my healthy relationships with men to the foundation my dad set.

My mom always made me laugh with her no b.s. way of life.  She will tell you how it is and she's usually right.  She is a very loving and passionate person, a true "Mama Bear" who will protect her cubs even when their are all grown up.  I got my fighting spirit from her!  She was my best friend, sometimes my only friend, in middle school and high school. 

My parents have always been there to listen and to push me towards what makes me happiest.  They have never tried to hold me back from anything that I wanted to do or try: Karate, recorder, piano, singing, a music degree, getting married at 22.  They have also never neglected to tell me how proud they are of me and the person I am today.

We've had our disagreements and fights like every kid with their parents, but that is just a result of the fact that they love my brother and I so much and only want what is best for us, even if they don't always agree with our choices. 

As I get older, I have come to appreciate more and more how lucky a kid I was and still am to have parents like them. 


No comments: